What is anxiety?
Anxiety is the most common mental health issue in America today. While everyone feels nervous or worried from time to time, if you have an anxiety disorder, your fears interfere with your day-to-day life and stop you from living to your full potential.
There are several types of anxiety disorders, including:
- General anxiety disorder: General anxiety disorder manifests as fears and worries about everyday events such as work, family, health, and routine chores. You may feel so overwhelmed by your concerns that even the smallest task feels like an insurmountable obstacle.
- Social anxiety disorder: Social anxiety disorder typically stems from a fear of rejection or humiliation. You feel nervous and fearful in social situations, regardless of whether or not you know the other people.
- Separation anxiety disorderSeparation anxiety disorder often stems from a fear of abandonment and loneliness. While it’s common in children who get upset when they’re separated from their parents, it also manifests in adults.
- Specific phobiasPhobias are intense, irrational, and disproportionate fears of an object or situation. Common phobias include heights, flying, and insects, although you may develop a fear of just about anything.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)PTSD is a type of anxiety that develops after a traumatic experience such as personal assault or an open shooter situation. PTSD can cause severely disruptive symptoms but, like all types of anxiety, is treatable.
What are the symptoms of anxiety?
Anxiety causes a wide variety of symptoms that range in severity. For example, you may experience physical and emotional symptoms such as:
- Feelings of nervousness, worry, or fear
- Heart palpitations
- Excessive sweating
- Tightness in your chest
- Shortness of breath
Call for help
If you experience any of these symptoms and they disrupt your life and ability to function at work or home, call Point of View Mental Health to make an appointment.Call
How is anxiety treated?
At Point of View Mental Health, weoffers highly personalized services to treat anxiety. We beginwith a comprehensive assessment that includes evaluations of your physical and mental health.
We work with you to create a customized treatment plan to relieve your anxiety. While your treatment program is designed to meet your needs specifically, we often prescribe a combination of medication, therapy, and lifestyle adjustments to address your total body health.
Call Point of View Mental Health or schedule a consultation online today for personalized assessments and treatments for anxiety.